The award-winning Galter LifeCenter Learn-to-Swim program is designed for children who have advanced through our Aquababies program and/or are ready to learn to swim independently in a group setting. The On-Deck Lead will keep you informed of your child’s progress and will address your needs.
We recommend children between the ages of 3-6 years old participate in this program. Children must be able to perform all of the skills taught in the preceding Learn-to-Swim group before being allowed to participate in higher-level classes.
Curriculums for the Learn-to-Swim program include:
- Entering/Exiting water safely
- Blowing bubbles with mouth and nose
- Submerging face while supported
- Floating on front and back without support
- Kicking on front and back while supported
- Pushing off bench to instructor with face in water
- Jumping into the pool with assistance
- Submerging and recovering face in water, with repetition
- Retrieving submerged objects from the bottom of the pool
- Doggie paddling unsupported for 5 yards
- Kicking on front and back unsupported for 5 yards
- Jumping into the pool unassisted
- Streamlining on front and back while supported
- Performing the front crawl for 5 yards
- Introduction to lateral breathing
- Performing the backstroke for 5 yards
- Performing the elementary backstroke with arms and legs while supported
- Streamlining on front and back with flutter kick
- Performing the front crawl with lateral breathing for 10 yards
- Performing the backstroke for 10 yards
- Performing the elementary backstroke for 10 yards
- Performing the front crawl for 25 yards
- Performing the backstroke for 25 yards
- Performing the elementary backstroke for 25 yards
- Performing the breaststroke pull for 10 yards
- Performing the breaststroke kick for 10 yards
For your reference:
- Class is held in the East Pool
- Class size is 4 participants to 1 instructor
- Each parent-child participant is allowed one free make-up class per session. Make up classes are held in the week following the end of the regular class schedule, at the same time and day as your current class.
We also offer Semi-Private Learn-to-Swim. Click on the links below to learn more.
>Semi-Private Learn-to-Swim 1
>Semi-Private Learn-to-Swim 2
Member registration begins June 11 and nonmember registration begins June 18.